According to mythology, on the day of Dhanteras, Goddess Lakshmi came out from an ocean of milk during the churning of the sea. Hence, on this day, Goddess Lakshmi is worshiped along with Lord Kuber. Dhanteras is also believed to be an auspicious day to purchase gold or silver articles since it is considered to be a harbinger of good luck. To ensure that you buy the best quality gold this Dhanteras, we, at VelvetCase bring you some handy tips that you can consider before purchasing gold coins or jewellery.
- It is important to understand that there are variations in gold that affect its purity, quality and price.
- The main factors to consider while buying gold are purity, gram weight and design.
- When it comes to purity, most gold ornaments or coins have a mark inside that indicate its caratage.
- Pure gold is too soft to make jewellery; hence, it is mixed with a mixture of metals like silver, copper, nickel, and zinc to give it strength and sturdiness.
- Jewellery made of 24-carat (k) gold is pure or 100% gold. Pure gold is flexible and can be moulded with bare hands. The second most popular caratage is 22k, which contains 22 parts gold and 2 parts of other metals, thereby making it 91.6% gold. This type of gold is popularly referred to as 916 gold.
- The price of gold jewellery is determined by multiple factors including the purity of the gold, which alloy it is combined with, and by the amount of skill and labour gone into it.
- The identification of gold jewellery is controlled through a hallmarking system. In India BIS as the sole agency, where jewellers can get their jewellery hallmarked. Buy hallmark gold jewellery online.
- Do not forget to consider the jewellers reputation before making the purchase. You want to go to a jeweller that is trustworthy and reliable.